Tuesday 13 September 2011

Empty Words

There are three statements that people say the most but mean the least. I'm sorry. Thank you. How are you. These have become so redundant in our society that they hardly hold any real value anymore. 'Sorry' has become ineffective. 'Thank you" is instinctual rather than meaningful. 'How are you' has just remained a formality. When we say sorry, it not in the least means we'll genuinely make an effort to rectify/avoid a mistake. We say thank you without the feeling that we owe something to the person in return. There is no feeling of gratitude in our thank yous. We say thank you and forget about it. We ask how are you just to start a conversation rather than truly being concerned about the person.

These are the cases for MOST of the time. Try to mean them next time you say it. These are heavy words, they carry a responsibility.



Actions lie louder than words.
- Carolyn Wells

5 comments:

  1. About the topic, I remember saying to a classmate when a girl enquired about my broken hand. A friend said, people care for you, see. I replied to him, "There is a difference between curiousity and care." And that girl was staring me like O_O. =D

    Khair, to appreciate someone on his face is to kll him. Dunno where heard or read it. Though agree with every letter of it.

    Ummm.. I'm of the view that I never believed in appreciation, praise. I know myself better than what others "think" they know about me. =)

    And since it speaks of words, I'd add.

    "A man slips more by his tongue than by his foot."
    - Bayhaqi

    P.S: I did mean it that night, and all previously time I said it. I didn't think you'll make it so public =P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zaid said that we don't really feel the connotations attached with certain words since they don't belong to our mother tongue. I found it quite accurate. Since our feelings and thoughts are interpreted in Urdu; he does have a point.
    P.S: Stop K.-ing around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm.. With "Sorry" I'd agree it'd be more felt and rarely used if said in Urdu. However with other words, its similar. Like *Aur sunao, Kya kar're ho? etc* One hardly ever intends to know what actually is the other doing but to keep the conversation going.
    People don't have time to feel, understand themselves these days. Let alone others -P

    P.S: Maaf karna (It sounds different :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. But in Urdu, it is an improved case!
    True true. Life has become so hectic, all of us are just going with the flow; wherever the tide of the time takes us. Just rolling. Not caring to stop and think about ourselves or anyone else.

    'We are so obsessed with doing that we have no time and no imagination left for being.

    As a result, men are valued not for what they are but for what they do or what they have—for their usefulness.'

    - Thomas Merton

    ReplyDelete